Exploring Oregon's Waters 🛶

My first canoe trip on the Willamette River was an experience of a lifetime. As I paddled along the gentle currents, completely lost in the peace of nature, I was unexpectedly surprised with not one, but two extraordinary encounters – a bald eagle soaring above and an osprey diving into the water to catch its prey. Join me as I share this amazing experience and look into the Oregon Water Futures Project which works to protect and clean up these ecosystems for generations to come.

The canoe ride started off a little chaotic for me as I was trying to get figure out how to use the paddle and stay in rhythm with the person in front of me all while a boat passing created some waves for us to ride.




After I got the hang of paddling it was smooth sailing. We made our way into a lagoon where we saw a bald eagle soaring gracefully above the river then it landed on a treetop. We quickly pulled out our binoculars to get a closer look. That left me speechless as it was my first time seeing a bald eagle let alone so close. We paddled around the lagoon looking for more wildlife but did not see any. So, we made our way out of the lagoon and back to shore, so we thought. But as we turned the corner getting ready to paddle our way to our lunch, we spotted an osprey also trying to acquire its lunch also. It started hovering in mid-air then suddenly it plunged into the river in hopes to catch a fish unfortunately failing.

 

The Oregon Water Futures Project focuses on the conservation, restoration, and sustainable management of Oregon's water systems, ensuring the survival of the state's natural heritage for generations to come. By promoting clean water initiatives, collaborating with stakeholders, and pursuing scientific research, this project strives to safeguard the delicate balance of our ecosystems.

 

During my canoeing adventure, I was also fortunate to witness a diverse array of other bird species that call the Willamette River home. From geese with their babies to crows singing very loudly. These experiences served as a reminder of the interconnectedness of all species within these ecosystems.



My first-time canoeing on the Willamette River was a journey that exceeded all my expectations. Witnessing the grace of the bald eagle, the hovering of the osprey, and the other birds that joined me along the way were truly unforgettable moments. Also learning about the Oregon Water Futures Project gave hope for a future where these encounters remain accessible for all, reminding us to cherish and protect the natural wonders that surround us.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Pacfic Garbage Patch 🗑️

Is There Really An Island Made of Plastic? 🏝️

Baby Turtles Stomaches Filled With Plastic 🐢